Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Why I Would Vote

I've been reading the comments on Rose's post

The North, Eid, and Elections
on her blog Diary from Baghdad. Rose is a young married mother in Baghdad whose focus is (understandably) more on her family responsibilities than on the opportunity to contribute - or not - to the chance for democracy in Iraq.

Rose is currently facing the choice of whether or not to risk voting.

Of course this is her choice, but she has many commentary all over the spectrum trying to help her. Here are my thoughts.

Freedom may be a right, but it is also a privilege.


Most people in the world have not lived free. Most have to win freedom to get it and earn freedom to keep it.

Those of us who are free count freedom very dear but also sometimes take it for granted.

Just because something is "right" doesn't make it "so." It may be "right" for Iraq to be free, but it will take many right choices by a persistent majority, a lot of hard work and more sacrifice before it will be so.

In the U.S. we know revolutions work, and we know freedom is worth the price. That knowledge spurs us on.


What is tragic in Iraq in the lack of hope. It takes hope to fuel a fight.

I, personally, cannot blame a young mother in Iraq for not voting.

But I would vote, I believe, even if I was not sure democracy could win.

I would vote, even if I knew there was a chance of becoming a target for terrorists, of losing my life and leaving my child an orphan.

1) I would vote, because it is important to sacrifice for what is right and resist what is wrong.

2) Would vote because my child deserves a better life than I have now.

3) I would vote because to do nothing is to invite the terrorists in.

4) I would vote because some things are worth dying for.

5) I would vote because I cannot expect right to come into my life unless I am willing to practice it.

6) I would vote because even if my side loses, my opinion would be counted and heard.

7) I would vote because even if I'm not sure whom to vote for, not voting is a vote against all of them, and a vote against freedom.

8) I would vote because I'd rather die right than live wrong.

9) After raising a child, I can safely say that I would vote because I could not face that child growing up knowing I didn't vote when I had the chance.

10) I would vote, because every vote is a vote for freedom.

I would vote to lay one brick in the road to freedom even if I might get run over doing it. I would vote so the road can be built. Freedom is that important.

You are voting, not just for a constitutional committee, but for your future and the future of your children.

Rose, my heart goes out to you, your family, your neighborhood, your cities, your nation.

After reading your thoughts and fears, and the input of your commenters, I have to say: I would vote.


1 Comments:

Blogger Esther said...

Great post. Love your passion.

January 22, 2005 at 2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter