Sunday, January 23, 2005

Not Afraid to Make A New Word

Okay, I admit it - this isn't the first time I have boldly gone where dictionaries have not yet tread.

Take the word "commentator." Please.

Bloggers seem unaware that the correct word to use when discussing those who comment on posts is "commentators." Ugh.

"Commentator" is a clunky word, a '50ies or '70ies kind of word. Too heavy for today's trendy media pipe: the Blog.

A search in the dictionary for "commentor" or "commenter" (both of which I've seen repeatedly), came up dry. We've coined a new word.

Googling "commentor" and "commenter" (separately), it looks like "commenter" is currently winning, two-to-one.

We're on to you Merriam-Webster. You are a follower of trends, a mere whim-sayer of the current fashion. Anything we say loudly enough and long enough, you parrot.

Parrot this: "Commentor."

I don't know why; I just like it. And, it's the underdog.

Vote with your fingers, brave bloggers. Vote soon. Vote often.

Commentors.

You will find I have waffled in the past on this. (The shame!) No longer.

Commentors. Has a nice ring, eh?


We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

2 Comments:

Blogger Albert Li said...

I like "commentor"

January 24, 2005 at 1:58 AM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

Call me insane, but I pictured Hermionine in Harry Potter going "commen-tor" like it was a spell.

January 29, 2005 at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter